Thursday, December 3, 2009

Liam's first day of "school"

The dreaded day approaches...I officially return to work on Thursday, December 10th. In order to help me stay positive about my return to work and Liam starting daycare, I have decided to take another idea from my friend Elin and think of this time as "Liam's first day of school." When I post this, he will be begin school with some transition time of a few hours each day leading up to the big, full day next Thursday. The school he is attending is the one several work friends send their kids too, and it is 2 miles away from Geoff's and my work places. The teachers are wonderful people, and I know Liam will be fine and probably even flourish! However, I cannot say the same for his mother. I will need lots of love and support from family and friends to ease my transition, and I will need reminders that my career lends itself really well to being a working mom. (I can leave work most days by 3:15 p.m., and I get more time off than most people, considering holidays and summertime.) Logically, this is a great new milestone for Liam. Emotionally, it is the hardest thing I have ever had to do in my entire life. I ask for your prayers for my strength and peace of mind as I send my big boy off to school! Here is a photo of my big boy before he heads off to "school."
Addendum: We both did fine. Liam charmed the teachers with his big, toothless grins, and he even got a note at the bottom of his daily report that read, "Liam is a very friendly baby." I am so proud! (As for how I did, I cried and had to call Geoff and my mommy on my way to my meeting with my sub. Once I got to Kilmer, some great work friends hugged me and distracted me with fun small talk. I really do work with some of the best people on earth!)

3 comments:

Jen H said...

now I'm crying too...but I LOVE the little notes they leave us. They warm my heart.

The McAllister Clan said...

I am so glad it went well!...The hard part is over and it should get easier bit by bit!

Elin said...

I'm so glad Liam got a good report from his first day. I'm thinking about you. You are so right when you say it is the hardest thing to do. Keep us updated, and let me know if you need anything!