Saturday, September 7, 2013

Liam's 2nd set of stitches

Not even 2 hours into Liam's first day back at school after our summer vacation, I received a call from the school.  "It's not an emergency, but Liam fell while outside, and I think he may need to see a doctor."  My heart sank.  I knew if it had been a REAL crisis, an ambulance would have been called, so I was curious as to what the injury could be.  My guess was a cut that needed stitches.  I was right.

When I arrived at school, Liam was sitting calmly in the office.  He had a white bandage across his chin and was eating apple slices.  He came to me and gave me a hug and told me, "I was running so fast and I hurt my chin."  I didn't even look at the cut since it was so neatly cleaned and bandaged, but the director told me she thought it was pretty deep.  So Liam and I headed into the Embassy to see the doc there.  Geoff met us there, and when the nurse took off the bandage, I let out a big, "OH!"  The cut WAS deep...and from one edge of his chin to the other.

The med team started prepping Liam for stitches while Geoff and I held him down/distracted him.  Liam was SOOOOO brave.  He only cried a little bit when the anesthetic shot was given.  He stayed still with me only occasionally having to remind him not to move while the doc stitched him up.  When the procedure was over, everyone was so impressed with "IronMan" that he got to pick TWO prizes from the box AND get 2 tootsie rolls!


The whole thing made Geoff and me so grateful for Liam's calm demeanor (well, most of the time).  He really is a super kid...who now has a super cool, tough-looking scar across his chin!


No comments: