Sunday, October 19, 2014

Sukkot

The next Jewish holiday in our month of seemingly constant holidays was Sukkot.  I did not know this holiday existed until we moved here.  Sukkot is a celebration of a couple of things: the harvest and the exodus from Egypt.  It lasts seven days, and people build (or buy) special tents called sukkahs in which they eat their meals during this 7 day time period.  Kids get to decorate their sukkah, and even restaurants will build them over their outdoor dining spaces.  It is a festive celebration, and I enjoyed seeing the variety of tents, especially in such a tight urban space!


 Most folks in apartments built their sukkah on their balconies.  



People on ground floors grab the nearest sidewalk space if their yards are not big enough.



And for those folks with little time or inclination to build their own, they could buy a ready made sukkah and have it delivered and assembled.  Here is a roadside business that was quite profitable the day before Sukkot began!


If you'd like to learn a bit more, here are a couple of news articles I found informative.  And of course, I have provided the hyperlink in the first paragraph.  Just click to read the Wikipedia article.

History of Sukkot
Magic of Sukkot

No comments: