Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Happenings at JAIS

Liam's school has had a couple of events this month.  On Martin Luther King Day, Liam's class and the preschool got together for an international diversity celebration.  Each child was to dress in their "native dress" and bring a dish from their home country.  Well, you can imagine my thoughts about this.  What constitutes "native dress" for an American?  Cowboy boots and hat?  Native American garb and moccasins?  I go through this every time and always fall back on what we have--a football jersey, some jeans, and a ball cap--'MURICA!!!!

Liam and his best friend, Atticus, who totally nailed his American costume!

As for native dish, Liam got assigned savory.  I thought about barbecue chicken, but was pretty sure the teachers would not appreciate that mess.  So Liam and I made homemade cornbread, but used my mini muffin tin to make serving easy.  When Liam got home, he told me the muffins were served as a dessert--Ha!  Clearly, the folks running the party are not Southern--CORNBREAD IS NOT A SWEET FOOD IN THE SOUTH!!!!  No sugar allowed, period.

Chef Liam helping me make Frank Stitt's (Head Chef at the Highlands) cornbread



The next day was Teacher Appreciation Day.  I coordinated the efforts to provide our teachers a Kosher brunch, have students decorate thank you cards/notes, and even provide little gifts for a raffle.  It was fun to be on this side of such an event, and our teachers and staff loved every bit!  I will miss them and this school very much.

No comments: