Friday, December 23, 2011

O Tannebaum(s) part 2

After moving our Charlie Brown tree to the basement, we realized we needed a bigger, better tree for our living room on the main level. We discussed going to a lot to get a pre-cut live tree but had reservations due to our not knowing when the tree may have been cut and how long it had been without water. We also dismissed returning to the Christmas tree farm--one trip a year is quite enough. So, alas, we settled on getting a fake tree. To those who know me well, this is a bit out of character. I have always had a live tree and have spurned fake trees for as long as I can remember. Despite the ease of care and cost efficiency, I could never bring myself to purchase one. I love the experience of cutting down your own (yes, even with a cranky, hungry, tired toddler) and the smell alone brings a calm to me that no other smell can match.

However, since we already had a live one and due to Geoff's job, there may be years we are in a location that doesn't have readily available live Christmas trees, I gave in to the fake tree purchase. Luckily for us, KMart was having a GREAT sale since Christmas was only 2 weeks away. We purchased a 7 1/2 foot tree with white lights already built in. It was quick, simple, and painless...until Geoff tried to put it together.

The tree came in three pieces which had to be perfectly aligned so the lights could plug in properly. Despite doing everything right, all sections of the tree did NOT light up. Geoff tried several times to fox the problem to no avail. So, Geoff went to KMart to return the tree. Alas, the only one left like ours was the floor model, complete with messy fake snow and tacky ornaments that had to be removed before he could take it home. Before the entire tree could be dismantled, Geoff had the good sense to ask for top portion instead of the entire tree, since that was the faulty part. What a smart guy!

He brought it home, spent very little time aligning the parts, and voila! Only the bottom part of the tree lit up! At this point, we just had to laugh. What else could we do? Clearly, the Christmas tree gods did not want us to succeed this year! Geoff twisted and turned the tree parts, and unplugged and replugged lights for a few more minutes...until we FINALLY had success! Liam was fascinated by the tree, and I snapped a picture of him staring at it (BEFORE I fluffed the branches. It looks MUCH better now--see the bottom photo).

I must admit, the tree looks nice, and I don't mind it not smelling like a Christmas tree, in thanks to the Yankee Candle Christmas tree candle we light when we want to pretend the tree is real. We also like the fact that we have a "pretty" tree and a "fun" tree, so we can decorate one how we see fit, and Liam can go crazy hanging ornaments wherever he wishes on the Charlie Brown tree. I think this is a tradition we will keep for years to come.


Dangit! Stupid tree!

WOW!!!! COOL!

Hanging ornaments.

No comments: