On Friday, our second day here, I made my first trip to the neighborhood market. My goal was to add to our basics (our sponsors kindly got us some fruit, milk, juice, coffee, etc.) and to get stuff for the day's lunch and dinner. Liam and I walked about 5 minutes down to the store. It was small, but had tiny buggies, so Liam was able to ride like normal. When we walked in, I put my nervousness and intimidation aside and focused on providing for Liam and making Geoff proud. Nothing was in English, so I had to rely on pictures or see through packaging to figure out what to get. The first of 5 aisles was a combo of meat, dairy, and frozen items. I found a whole chicken and some frozen broccoli, and then Liam spotted the hotdogs. I guess English is not much of a barrier for hotdogs! I continued on to find olive oil, sugar, rice, and some other items to round out our meals. When I got to the register, the lady was chatting away, and cooing over Liam, and then she held up my onion and tomato to ask about them. Uh-oh--I was able to figure out I was supposed to weigh them back in produce. I apologized in English (next goal--learn "I'm sorry" in Bosnian), and she hurried off to do it for me. I paid in marks and helped bag so Liam and I could walk back home and enjoy our hotdogs. I made it and am proud of myself for taking the first small step in acclimating to my new home!
No comments:
Post a Comment