We arrived after a significant delay at Newark (6+ hours), and then had to wait a bit more for our luggage once we finally got in to Tel Aviv. We hauled our 9 suitcases, 2 carseats, and a stroller into a Consulate van, and drove the 45 minutes to our new home in Jerusalem. All told, from door to door, we had just over 24 hours of travel time.
It was surreal, that drive from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem. I remember feeling the same way once we arrived in Sarajevo: beyond exhausted, "migrainy," bewildered by what I saw (some of the famous "wall/fence"), curious to hear what our friend and sponsor, C.J., had to say about Israel and Palestine, eager to collapse into a bed, and then eventually...GLAD to be "home."
Geoff and the boys were champs. Liam and Sam slept most of the flight, and Geoff and I had naps here and there. I don't know if it's just that he's had more practice or what, but Geoff always does better functioning on jetlag than I do. I am grateful. Because as soon as I could (so around 6:30 p.m., I think), I fed Sam, then collapsed into bed to try to alleviate the awful headache that I get whenever we travel overseas. That left Geoff to do everything that needed to be done for Liam AND to set himself up for success the next morning FOR A FULL DAY OF WORK. Bless his heart. I love him.
Our apartment is small, but bigger than most apartments in Jerusalem! We are in a nice neighborhood within walking distance of several playgrounds, a fresh market, and a scenic walk called "The Promenade" which gives you a GREAT view of the city. We even have a (somewhat obstructed) view from our awesome terrace. We can see Gethsemane and the Mount of Olives!
We will post pictures of our new home when we have it set up. We still only have a few of our things; the majority of our belongings won't arrive until sometime later this month. For now, here is what you need to know about our contact information.
We have TWO mailing addresses. One is the kind you are used to for us...the slow, 3-4 week delivery time "pouch," and one is the AWESOMELY FAST (as in one week), NO LIQUID RESTRICTIONS DPO!!! We would, of course, prefer you to use the DPO address. It costs the same, but it does require a customs form. They are simple to fill out and any post office worker can show you how if you don't feel like "Googling" directions yourself. Here they are:
SLOW address:
6350 Jerusalem Place
Dulles, VA 20189
FAST address:
Unit 6350 Box 5246
DPO, AE, 09830
I can give you phone numbers as well, if you like. Just email us, and I will pass them along. Our love to all!
No comments:
Post a Comment