Along the courtyard outside the church,
there is artwork from all over the world, depicting Mary.
We found Bosnia's!
Inside the church, one altar sits in front of Mary's house.
The main altar is on the second floor and has beautiful artwork.
And there are gorgeous stained glass windows at the back.
Mary gets a lot of reverence, but we must not forget Joseph.
What a great guy to stick around, huh?
A view of Nazareth from a rooftop
As I said when I wrote about the Church of the Nativity, the probability of this being THE SPOT isn't very high. And again, that does not bother me. We were in the vicinity of amazing events, and again, I was particularly struck by Mary. By all accounts, she was virtuous and admired. A very good girl. Imagine getting the news (even if it IS an angel telling you) that you are going to have a baby by miraculous means, and you are unmarried. The fear she must have felt at the thought of telling her family and her fiancé! The terror of visualizing the shunning and persecution she would experience at the hands of her neighbors, who would also think her story was complete insanity. What bravery to utter the words, "Behold the handmaid of the Lord; be it unto me according to thy word." (Luke 1:38).
Would I have been as brave? What would I have said? I don't know, but I am so grateful to have a mother's perspective while visiting these sites. The meaning for me is amplified beyond measure.






No comments:
Post a Comment