Before entering the subterranean church, we entered one more cave, claiming to be the spot where the sleepy disciples were overcome with exhaustion while Jesus went off to pray alone. It could very well be. This is the cave nearest to the Old City, and the Bible tells us that the group was a "stone's throw" away from the Old City. Inside was small and a group was having service, thus no photos. But it is a cave chapel, like most of the other cave chapels we have visited.
After that cave, we entered the church with the tomb. We had to walk down lots of stairs that date back to the Crusaders' time. One thing I will say for Eastern Orthodox churches, they have the most beautiful lanterns! They hang them all over the place.
There was a group inside having a service, and they were singing. I suppose it was Armenian, which I do not know, but the melody was beautiful and somewhat familiar, so I hummed along. Those who know me well know that my worship is mostly through music. "Good hymn Sundays" are a real thing to me (and my mom), and beautiful hymns often move me to tears...so much so that I often have to stop singing. I just hummed and listened and again felt very fortunate to be able to be there.
On our way out, Geoff snapped this picture of some Catholic priests (and isn't that a cardinal? He's wearing red--don't only cardinals wear red?) coming down the stairs. They are just touring--Catholics have a different tradition for Mary's location and her "death," so they are not here to worship or lead worship. But I just love this shot.

No comments:
Post a Comment