Thursday, August 1, 2013

Back in the saddle again

I have decided to forgo writing about the rest of our April vacation for a while.  Geoff and I like to work on those together, and with how busy, sick, separated we've been this summer, it makes sense to post some things I can do alone while Liam naps (or has quite time as he chooses).

For example...

In early May, I did two things for the Embassy.  1) I hosted a CLO coffee.  2) I visited the American Corner at the downtown branch of the Sarajevo public library to talk with some preschoolers about American Mothers' Day.  Both were fun!

For my coffee, I decided on a Mexican-influenced brunch in honor of Cinco de Mayo.  I used bright decor to liven up the atmosphere since the weather did NOT cooperate with our mood.  My friends Anna and Heather helped by bringing a dish each and helping me set-up.  We had melon with chili and lime, chili-roasted pecans, fresh veggies with spicy ranch, made-from-scratch cornbread muffins with jalapeños, cucumber bites with black bean salad and avocado-lime dressing, fresh strawberries with yogurt, and lime bars!  I think it turned out well, despite the fact that I was still hiding the fact I was pregnant from the gang and did not feel all that well.




My "talk" at the library went well too!  I had 12-15 kids, some of whom spoke English, and some of whom did not...thus the translator next to me despite my best Bosnian efforts.  I only chatted with them for 5-10 minutes about the traditions of Mothers' Day.  I also brought some of the things Liam has made me over the years, and I brought materials for the kids to make their own Mothers' Day cards.  I must say it was really fun to do this outreach activity for the Embassy.  The kids were precious, and the library workers were extremely appreciative!  My only complaint was the smoking allowed inside (the adults, not the kids).  I know most smoking Bosnians don't care too much about public health in regards  to their smoking indoors, but the STUFF IN THAT LIBRARY!!!!  The smell will never leave those materials.  Oh well!  If Bosnia hopes to join the EU, they will HAVE to abandon their indoor smoking habits!

 Giving my talk

Making our cards

These precocious gals could speak English very well 
and wanted to show off every chance they got!

Well, that's it for now.  I promise Geoff and I will get back to our Italy/Croatia/Montenegro posts as soon as we can.  Until then, I will be posting things I can manage myself, and promise to do so with more regularity than of late as I finally have some energy back and my nausea has lessened SIGNIFICANTLY!  Love to all!

No comments: