Friday, August 23, 2013

"The Camp We Love the Best of All!"

Some of you know I grew up a "camp kid."  At least one week of every summer from the time I was six years old was spent at Camp Winnataska, a 95 years young summer camp located on Kelly Creek outside of Leeds, AL.  After my time as a camper, I became a leader and then a staff member...only ending my summers at camp when I was 20 and needed to begin taking summer classes at Auburn to graduate with my 2 degrees in a respectable time period.

Those times at camp were magical for me, and I certainly made lifelong friends.  Each time I go home, I make it a point to visit camp, just to reconnect with those memories.  This summer, my visit was a little different as I was invited to give the evening talk at the daily vespers-like service called Hillside.  There is an amphitheater of sorts that overlooks the waterfall at camp.  It is here, after dinner and flag lowering, where all of the campers, leaders, staff, and directors gather to sing some praise songs and hear a little about whatever Christian message the speaker chooses.

It's a tricky thing, giving such a talk.  Faith is very personal for me (and I tend to be a bit more liberal minded than the typical Alabama audience).  Also, the age range was a bit profound--from 6 all the way to adulthood.  I decided to keep it short and sweet and focus on what my life in Sarajevo has taught me...how to be a good Christian when you are so far removed from normal religious routine.  (Christians are a minority here in Sarajevo, the churches here are not Anglican/Episcopalian, and only one church has an English service, but that service has no music, etc.)

I shared with everyone these things, and asked some of the younger kids what I could do to be a good Christian since I couldn't go to church.  They gave great answers...pray, read the Bible, etc.  They were very sweet!  I then reminded everyone of the story from Matthew 22: 36-39.  Jesus is asked by a law expert which of the 10 is the greatest commandment.  Jesus gives a tricky answer...saying 2 things, "'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’ 38 This is the first and greatest commandment. 39 And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’"

I talked about acting on these "tips" from Jesus...even when I didn't feel like it, or when the "neighbor" I was helping practices another religion, or when the "neighbor" seemingly doesn't deserve my love/help.  And I think my short message sunk in.  I hope so anyway.

Overall, it was a lovely afternoon/evening at camp.  I got to catch up with a couple of old friends, eat dinner in the dining hall, sing the camp songs, and remember the "good ol' days."  Despite all the improvements in the past 15 years since I left camp, it really hasn't changed a bit.  I hope someday Liam will come to love Winnataska as much as I do!  (Perhaps even his cousins could join him?)

The view of the falls from the dining hall porch.
These campers were headed to dinner.  They saw me with the camera and did this!

Me (on the far right) at camp in 1986 (?)
My leader, Mary Margaret, is now the camp's director and a good friend.

Comanches (female staff members) singing at Country Night in 1996
(I'm 3rd from left)

Comanches dressed up for Indian Night in 1997
(I am the Lone Hunter--I got to dance around the fire by myself.)

No comments: