Two flights and a 50 minute cab ride from Heathrow got me to my hotel, the Cumberland, which was near the Marble Arch at Hyde Park. I settled in then headed downstairs to the hotel restaurant for dinner. I was able to eat most of it, despite my history of being very unwell during the first trimester. I had little energy after dinner, so it was back upstairs to my room for a quiet evening alone...after FaceTiming with my guys, of course!
I slept well, ate a HUGE breakfast for the first time in weeks, then got a cab to my morning appointment. My doc was awesome. When I met him, he said, "Call me Craig" in the most beautiful Scottish brogue ever! He was professional yet personal, and I enjoyed my experience there very much! My doctor's office is actually right across the street from the hospital where Duchess Kate gave birth to Prince George! Although that did not happen while I was there, the Duke of Edinburgh (that's the Queen's husband to those who aren't Anglophiles) was hospitalized there recovering from his abdominal surgery, so I did get to see the security involved when a royal needs medical care!
After my appointment, I headed to Selfridges department store (Geoff and I had been watching the show, so I had to see it for myself), where I purchased a book for Liam and some Krispy Kreme doughnuts (my first in well over a year)! To those not familiar, Selfridges was started by an American back in 1909. He had big plans to revolutionize the way Londoners shopped. The plans worked! You really should watch the PBS show Mr. Selfridge--it's not just the history of a department store, I promise! It's really good!
After my Selfridges run, I headed to the train station and out of town to visit my Pell City friend, Rebecca Smith, who has been teaching in the U.K. this past year thanks to the Fulbright Teacher Exchange program. She came to visit us in February, so I returned the favor to spend an afternoon in the English countryside. I figured since I get one more trip to London, I could tour the city on that trip since Rebecca will be back Stateside by then. She picked me up at the station and dropped me off at Woburn Abbey, a grand English manor house and home to the 15th Duke of Bedford. I toured the beautiful home and grounds, and even got to have afternoon tea, which as it so happens was invented at Woburn Abbey! The house has some amazing artwork in addition to impressive history (PLEASE click on the house link to read about it--there's a Van Gogh there). There's also a deer park AND a safari park on the grounds! This place is HUGE!
After Rebecca finished her school day, she picked me up and drove me around her lovely little village of Woburn Sands before taking me to a local pub for dinner. We chatted and enjoyed our meal before she had to take me back to the station so I could head back in to the city. After an enjoyable 45 minute train ride and 10 minute cab ride, I was back in my hotel, in my PJ's and in bed, watching American TV shows. All in all, it was lovely little trip to England. It's going to be great to go back in 2 weeks!
A grotto on the grounds
A pond on the grounds
Me in front of the house
(Typical UK weather--cool and windy with threats of rain, thus the hair)
High Tea food selection
(scones with clotted cream and jam, finger sandwiches--egg salad, cucumber, salmon)
A terrible selfie at the train station

No comments:
Post a Comment