Sunday, December 27, 2015

Christmas Eve

On Christmas Eve, we had quite a lot of fun!  That afternoon, Liam and Sam got to open one gift...their annual Christmas pajamas.  Looks like Sam was a tad more excited about the present than Liam was.



Then we headed to Bethlehem, where we met 35 or so friends for a group dinner and a planned singing at Shepherds' Fields.  I quickly turned into a couch for my two guys who were trying to wait on their dinner, which took a lot longer than planned.



Because Geoff had to work that night, escorting our Consul General to the Midnight Mass at Church of the Nativity, we had to leave dinner and do a quick tour of Shepherds' Field before heading back home.  While I didn't get to sing, we still enjoyed being there on Christmas Eve.


There were some simple, lovely decorations, and LOTS of joyful people!  There was lots of singing and clapping, and people wishing each other MERRY CHRISTMAS in many different languages.  It was truly magical to be there.  I got teary, especially when I heard the sung refrain, "GLORIA, IN EXCELSIS DEO."  Sometimes I really have to pinch myself in this life.  We have had so many "once in a lifetime" experiences in these 3 1/2 years we've been overseas.  They make the sacrifices so worth it.





Above: the church
Below: a worship service we stumbled upon
They were singing "Angels We Have Heard on High."


Once we got home, Geoff quickly changed while I put a very tired Sam to bed.  Then Geoff left and Liam and I went outside to give Rudolph a carrot and spread the reindeer food he made at a Christmas party.


Then we came back in, changed into our pajamas, and left cookies, milk, and a letter for Santa before heading to bed.

Here is the video of the mass that Geoff got to attend.  You can see our Consul General and his wife in the first five seconds.  It is quite an honor to get to attend.  While the bigwigs of the area get to attend easily, tickets for every day citizens are assigned by luck of the draw/lottery.  But you can see the lovable, yet stoic face of working Geoff at the 6:41 mark!


He even made the big screen outside in Manger Square, as documented by a friend.


We hope your Christmas Eve was magical too!  We love and miss you all!

No comments: